Are You A Night Snacker ?
It’s not necessarily the time you eat that leads to weight gain, but the type of foods you tend to eat late at night. Favorite foods include the all-time favorite ice cream, potato chips, chocolate. Your body does not process food differently after dark, but nighttime tends to be the most sedentary time of the day, when your calorie needs are minimal. The bottom line: Eating after dinner tends to pack on the pounds.
So what do you do? Because that is not so easy to do, here are 5 tips to help you get over midnight munching:
- Satisfy your cravings with a low calorie alternative like herbal tea, a handful of veggies, or a piece of fruit.
- Increase the fiber in your diet, especially at dinner. Try adding beans or whole grains to keep you feeling full.
- Increase the protein in your dinner. Recent research suggests that protein has the greatest staying power to keep hunger at bay.
- Let your journal be your friend. Use your diet journal or app to help you track your meals and keep you on target with your eating plan.
- Drink plenty of water. Not only will it help you stay hydrated, it will give you something to do with your hands and mouth.